Actress Sandra Oh, who plays the role of Cristina Yang in the hit series “Grey’s Anatomy” announced that she would leave the TV series at the end of the 10th season.
Sandra Oh played the doctor Cristina Yang from the very first season of the show, which aired in 2005.
“Creatively, I really feel like I gave it my all, and I feel ready to let her go”, said Oh to the press in an official statement, adding that it was a great privilege to play the character of Cristina Yang. However, Sandra Oh said she did not regret the decision to give up this role because she feels she has explored and developed the character Cristina Yang completely.
Sandra Oh also added that this announcement is meant for the producers to decide what to do with her character. “We have to start the process, story-wise, for the Grey’s writers to think of why she’s going to go”.
The role of Cristina Yang brought Oh has a Golden Globe Award, two SAG Awards and five Emmy nominations. Cristina Yang was not just Meredith’s best friend, or “person”, as they called each other, but also an important character in the daily drama from Seattle Grace Hospital, with her romantic affairs with Preston Burke and Owen Hunt.
Despite the announcement made by Sandra Oh, who plays one of the main characters in the series, with Dr. Grey (Ellen Pompeo), Dr. Bailey (Chandra Wilson) and Dr. Karev (Justin Chambers), the show’s producers said that “Grey’s Anatomy”will not end after the tenth season. The tenth season of “Grey’s Anatomy” will debut in the U.S. on September 26 and the last episode of this season will be released next spring, but you can watch the previous seasons with Comcast Chicago, if you live in the Chicago area and are on the lookout for a new, reliable internet provider.
“Grey’s Anatomy” is an Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning series, a medical drama aired at prime time hours. The series revolves around the doctor Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo), which started out as intern in the department of surgery at the Seattle Grace Hospital. The title of the series refers to the famous medical guide called Gray’s Anatomy.
The series ‘Grey’s Anatomy”, produced by ABC Studios, is the winner of 37 international awards, including two Golden Globe Awards: in 2006 for Sandra Oh (Cristina Yang) as Best Supporting Actress, and in 2007 – for Best Television Series. The leading actors, and series itself also received 95 other nominations (Emmy, Golden Globe) from the beginning of production on in 2005.
The doctors at Seattle Grace Hospital deal with life and death every day, which is why they find support in the friendship that bind them, and sometimes the stories go even further than just friendship. Together, they discover that neither medicine nor the relationships between them cannot be all black and white. Real life is seen and lived only in shades of gray.
The cast of the show is made of:
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey (196 episodes, 2005-2013)
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang (196 episodes, 2005-2013)
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev (196 episodes, 2005-2013)
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey (196 episodes, 2005-2013)
- James Pickens Jr. As Dr. Richard Webber (196 episodes, 2005-2013)
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd (196 episodes, 2005-2013)
- Sara Ramirez as Dr. Callie Torres (168 episodes, 2006-2013)
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan (137 episodes, 2006-2012)
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens (120 episodes, 2005-2010)
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt (116 episodes, 2008-2013)
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey (112 episodes, 2007-2012)
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins (106 episodes, 2009-2013)
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O’Malley (102 episodes, 2005-2009)
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery (89 episodes, 2009-2013)
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner (81 episodes, 2009-2013)